Harley Davidson® VIN Identification Guide
This list is unofficial and is not gospel, only what I have been able to cross in various manuals, web sites and dealerships. If you have more updated info on this data, please let me know.
1903-1909 | 1910-1919 | 1920-1929 | 1930-1936 | 1937-1961 | 1962-1969 | 1970-1980 | 1981-2000 | 2001-2009 | 2010-Present
1903 | 1904 | 1905 | 1906 | 1907 | 1908 | 1909
- Model 0: 24.74c.i.(405.41cc) F-Head single.
Early method of model identification that matches year to model by subracting four from the year
Crankcase baffle plates cast in.
- Model 1: 24.74c.i.(405.41cc) F-Head single.
- Model 2: 26.8c.i.(439.9cc) F-Head single.
Engine: 26.8ci(439.9cc) F-head single with automatic inlet valve and 3-1/8x3-1/2in bore and stroke
Hand crank designed into engine; optional
The nickname Silent Gray Fellow
- Model 3: 24.74c.i.(405.41cc) F-Head single.
- Experimental V-twin featuring automatic suction inlet valves. Valve problems kept it from consistent running. No other details available.
Sager front fork
Oilers used for fork rocker plates
Engine hand crank standard
- Model 4: 26.8ci (739.9cc) single cylinder, single-belt drive, 26-inch wheels, battery ignition, 3.9 HP, motor numbers under 2500.
- Experimental V-twin using H-D single cylinders with a smaller-than-standard bore and mechanical inlet-valve action, activated by a tappet running off the timing pinion in engine case. No other details available.
Exhaust-valve stem fitted with a steel cap for adjustment
- The factory offered four singles, with either 26- or 28-inch wheels (wheels were measured from the outer edge of the tire back then), and either battery or magneto ignition. These were referred to as the Model 5 (fifth year of production, which, for Harley-Davidson purposes, began in 1904). Motor numbers 2500-4200
- Model 5 - Single cylinder, single-belt drive, battery ignition, 4.34 HP, 30 c.i., 28-inch wheels
- Model 5A - Single cylinder, single-belt drive, magneto ignition, 4.34 HP, 30 c.i., 28-inch wheels
- Model 5B - Single cylinder, single-belt drive, battery ignition, 4.34 HP, 30 c.i., 26-inch wheels
- Model 5C - single cylinder, single-belt drive, magneto ignition, 4.34 HP, 35 c.i., 26-inch wheels>
- Model 5D - Twin cylinder, single-belt drive, magneto ignition, 6.5 HP, 50 c.i., 28-inch wheels
Model 5 - 864
Model 5A - 54
Model 5B - 168
Model 5C - 36
Model 5D - 27
Engine: 30ci F-head single with automatic inlet valves and 3-5/16x3-1/2in bore and stroke
Front fender mounted to the spring fork and moved with the fork
20-pint tank capacity
Bosch magneto on magneto-equipped models
Longer contour-styled tanks, formed in two halves, fitted around the frame and wedge-shaped to the rear
Wire-operated engine controls enclosed in handlebars